You may have heard about the welfare reform changes that started in 2013, which saw the introduction of the Under Occupancy Charge (Bedroom Tax) and the Benefit Cap. Now, further changes are planned from late 2016-2017. Many existing benefits are due to be replaced by a new benefits system called ‘Universal Credit’ (UC). Universal Credit is a single means-tested benefit which will be paid monthly to people of working age. It will replace most means-tested benefits including:
• ESA & JSA
• Income Support
• Housing Benefit
• Working Tax Credit
• Child Tax Credit
If you are receiving any of the above benefits/incomes, then ACE are delivering a number of workshops to help you and community members plan for these changes.
The current Benefit Cap rate is set at:
• £500 per week if you’re a couple, whether your children live with you or not
• £500 per week if you’re single and your children live with you
• £350 per week if you’re single and you don’t have children
As of Autumn 2016 this amount will reduce to:
• £384.62 per week if you’re a couple, whether your children live with you or not
• £384.62 per week if you’re single and your children live with you
• £257.69 per week if you’re single and you don’t have children, or your children don’t live with you
(Exemptions include those in receipt of Working Tax Credit, DLA or PIP or ESA with Support Component) .
Please come and join us for an informal advice session that can help you understand these changes, the impact they will have on your family’s income and how to prepare and budget for the changes. Come along to:
Ely Caerau Community Hub
on 23rd September, 9:30-12:30,
Cowbridge Road West, Cf5 5BQ.
on 26th September, 9:30-12:30,
Doyle Ave, CF5 3HU.
on 3rd October, 9:30-12:30,
460 Cowbridge Road West, CF5 5BZ.